Update Feb 2013
By Leoni Hodgson, PMAFA, MSE (Psych), PhDe Esotericism
There has been an explosion of spiritual teachings and communications on the planet over the last one hundred and fifty years. Some are genuine, coming from credible esoteric sources such as Helena Blavatsky or Alice Bailey. But most are interpretations of the true teachings, which in the author’s opinion are dubious at best, and filled with distortions, personal biases, or downright nonsense, at worst. Many “young souls” – those who have not yet developed mental discrimination and have not studied credible esoteric teachings, are “taken in” by these false prophets and their prophecies. This will continue until the student develops a cycle of doubt and becomes more discerning. This paper explores this topic.
A. Levels of Consciousness on our Planet
1. There are seven levels of consciousness on Earth. The higher four we generally call “spiritual” or superhuman, because they are beyond man’s normal range of consciousness. The lower three are the human worlds of mind, emotions and physical.
· God consciousness is on the highest Logoic or 1st level.
· Our spiritual sparks are on the 2nd Monadic Plane.
· Our spiritual natures span the 3rd, 4th and higher 5th, the Atmic, Buddhic and Higher Mental.
· Our human souls or developing points of wisdom are on the higher 5th Mental Plane.
· Our human minds are on the lower 5th Mental Plane
· Our emotions are on the 6th Astral Plane
· Our physical bodies are on the 7th Physical Plane.
2. The ultimate spiritual goal for man is to become spiritually aware. That is, to ascend in consciousness, up the planes – to build a channel of consciousness from the brain, to the mind, to soul wisdom, then to spirit.
3. We achieve this; we raise our level successively through the planes as we learn from the experiences presented to us in our various incarnations. We can also hasten the building of the inner link (antahkarana or rainbow bridge) through concentrated meditation of the esoteric type. (Meditation using the mind as an analytical factor).
4. These higher levels of consciousness and communication are not available to us until we have built this inner link.
5. When communications or energy transmissions originate on any plane, they degrade in quality as they pass down through lower planes, finally exhausting themselves on the physical plane.
6. So for example, a message originating from the 3rd Atma Plane, can only be received in its pure form by those who are consciously aware at that or a higher level. Everyone else below gets a message that is degrading. The lower down the ladder, the more distorted is the message.
B. Mystics – those who focus in their emotions
1. Most people on Earth have not yet developed a good reasoning mind, but focus instead, in their emotions. They do not think issues through carefully or look for evidence and facts, but make decisions based on how they feel, or by what they are told.
2. In terms of ascension, they have only forged a consciousness link from the physical to the emotional.
3. People who blindly accept channelled information, are mostly in this group.
4. People in this group who also have a yearning to connect with God or with their spiritual side, are called “mystics”.
5. Many mystics believe that spiritual realisation or union with the Divine can occur through devotional means. By wishing, hoping, praying and yearning for union. Although that may have been true in the past for younger races, it is not appropriate, and it does not work, for modern man whose task is to develop the mind.
6. GLAMOUR: such people are victims of a particular psychological problem called Glamour. This is the tendency to distort reality because of emotional bias. Because they wish and hope something is true, such people hypnotise themselves into believing it to be so, even when there is no hard evidence to support the belief.
Even advanced mystics and occultists (who use the mind) must guard against its attractive lure. They can be so earnest in their desire to contact and communicate with their God, Guru or Teacher, that they may readily interpret the “visions” or impressions they receive as coming from a divine source. Others could convince themselves they are the receivers of special attention from the Master.
7. If a voice is heard by a spiritually undeveloped person (according to the esoteric measure), then it is 99.99% likely to come from a non-spiritual source, from the higher unmanifested levels of the Astral or Emotional Plane. This is the plane of delusion where the emotions, dreams and imaginings of humanity reside. They take form and people who are susceptible and see them, or hear them speak, call them spiritual. But they are tuning in only to the dumping ground of man’s wish life and imagination. The spiritual planes are higher. The Masters and saints do not live on the astral plane.
8. However, it is important to understand that the mystical stage is a normal and natural stage we all go through, on the journey of the soul towards enlightenment.
C. The Importance of the Mind in Spiritual Growth
1. Gautama Buddha used his mind to reason his way to enlightenment. The entire Buddhist philosophy centres on developing the mind as a means to become enlightened and wise.
2. Those who use their minds are sometimes called Occultists or Esotericists, to distinguish them from mystics of the type refered to, who do not.
3. If we refer back to the list of planes and ascension, when the mind is alive and working, the consciousness link spans the physical, to the emotional, to the mind. At this stage, the higher bodies on the higher levels – including the soul, have yet to be accessed and developed. Until this inner work is done, people cannot communicate consciously and clearly with the beings that reside in the superhuman realms.
4. The human mind is the instrument that enables us to connect with the higher planes.
5. Sometimes, mystics do manage to bypass the mind through wishing and longing to unite with God. But if so, it is only temporary, and usually cannot be repeated at will. Then, however true the contact made, when the message is brought back down and interpreted by the undeveloped mind, it is filled with distortions because the mind has not been trained to be a recorder of truth and reality.
6. A mind that is developed and trained to be discriminating, is essential for our spiritual training. Mystics who have not done this may not like to hear the truth that, seemingly “non-spiritual” sceptics are more evolved. They have built the higher link and in the future, will re-connect with their mystical side and be quite advanced on the Path of Spiritual Development.
D. The Problem of Channelling
1. A channeller is a person who claims to have received spiritual messages from a higher divine source. But the common channeller is a mystic who is receiving messages from discarnate sources on the higher Astral Plane of delusion. Without adequate mind training, and when consciousness is focused in the emotional nature, then people can delude themselves into believing that they are receiving divine inspiration when actually the source is often from within or from non-spiritual entities on lower planes.
2. It is impossible for true spiritual communications emanating from the higher spiritual planes, which are of a high and fine vibration, to be received by minds and brains that have not been prepared through the correct evolutionary process. If by some chance a true spiritual inspiration is received by a consciousness which is glamoured or focused in the lower worlds, no matter how beautiful the original message, it will be distorted in some essential and important way.
“The days of personality contact, of personality attention and of personal messages are over, and have been over for quite a while, save in the vale of illusion, on the astral plane…. The satisfying of individual aspiration, the meeting of the desire of the probationers and the feeding of spiritual ambition appeal to us not at all. The times are too serious, and the crisis too acute.” Esoteric Psychology I, Alice Bailey p112-113
E. The Wise Person wields the Sword of Discrimination
So how do we sort out which Messenger to believe? Read more …